The third and final molars that most people obtain in their late teens or early twenties are known as wisdom teeth. While some people never encounter any concerns with their wisdom teeth, most do. For instance, wisdom teeth that are impacted (stuck under the gums) might harm neighboring teeth by causing pain, infection, and even injury. These situations necessitate the removal of wisdom teeth.
With wisdom teeth, is Invisalign still an option?
Can You Get Invisalign with Wisdom Teeth?
If you’re thinking about getting Invisalign, you might be wondering if having wisdom teeth will prevent you from receiving the procedure. Sadly, there is no universal response to this query because it is case-specific. But the quick response is that you can have Invisalign in Newmarket even if you have wisdom teeth.
Before starting treatment, your orthodontist will inspect your mouth and take x-rays to determine whether your wisdom teeth are impacted or asymptomatic (wisdom teeth that don’t create any issues). Your dentist may deem it necessary to extract your wisdom teeth prior to receiving Invisalign in Aurora if:
- The teeth around your wisdom teeth are becoming damaged.
- Your wisdom teeth are infected.
- Your wisdom teeth are interfering with how well your aligners fit.
- Your teeth are crooked.
- Severe overcrowding.
Should you have any concerns or questions about Invisalign near you or any of the problems noted above, don’t hesitate to reach out to our neighborhood dental office.
Can Your Teeth Be Extracted During the Treatment?
The removal of wisdom teeth is typically advised by orthodontists prior to starting Invisalign therapy. However, this will be decided on a case-by-case basis by your orthodontist during your initial consultation and during your periodic check-ins.
If you are in the midst of your orthodontic treatment, and your third molars are emerging anyways, it may be possible to have them taken out without interfering with your Invisalign treatment schedule.
Should this be the case, you should keep a few things in mind if you and your orthodontist in Bradford determine that having your wisdom teeth extracted while wearing Invisalign is the best option.
- It’s likely that getting your wisdom teeth removed will lengthen the duration of your Invisalign treatment by several months.
- If your wisdom teeth are extracted, your Invisalign aligners might need to be modified to account for the changes in your mouth. Your aligners may need to be readjusted to ensure that they continue to fit properly because the removal of your wisdom teeth may cause swelling and some tooth shifting.
- You might need to wear a retainer for a short while after having your wisdom teeth removed in order to prevent your teeth from moving.
- It could cost more: Having your wisdom teeth removed while you wear Invisalign could raise the price of your procedure. Further aligners and clinic visits might be required, so budget accordingly.
Looking to Obtain a Straighter, Healthier Smile?
If you have any questions or concerns, consult your orthodontist near you prior to starting treatment. They will be able to design a treatment plan that is customized just for you and will guarantee that you obtain the greatest outcomes.
You should consider coming to Newmarket Orthodontics; we are here to help you fall in love with your smile all over again!